Preston Station - Past & Present
TRAINS TO THE NORTH

Progress northwards towards Glasgow was made in stages, with the Lancaster & Preston Junction Railway in 1840, the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway in 1846 and the Caledonian Railway completing the route to Glasgow and Edinburgh in 1848.

Caprotti valve gear fitted standard class 5 no 73141 passing under Blackpool Road Bridge with a southbound express. The Cattle Market wasthe other side of the bridge in this picture.

Photo and caption by Stan Withers

  9F no 92009 approaching Preston with a Carlisle to Crewe fited freight. It has just passed under the Eldon Street Bridge.

Photo and caption by Stan Withers